A number of health conditions can greatly affect our health and quality of life and most of these are usually caused by the predisposition of our genes and our lifestyle choices. One such medical condition is known as high blood pressure or hypertension. Hypertension can be caused by a number of different reasons and can also result in different adverse health effects. To treat high blood pressure, people can take traditional medications that are prescribed by their healthcare professionals. Fortunately, there are other possible treatment options for high blood pressure or hypertension and one of them is the essential oil. So in this article, we will look at the best and (if applicable) worst essential oils for hypertension or high blood pressure. Read on to find out more!
Hypertension or High Blood Pressure
Hypertension, also called high blood pressure, is a condition common in adults living in the United States (US). If hypertension is not immediately addressed or treated, it can often cause heart disease or problems such as stroke and heart attack. There are a number of individuals who believe that taking essential oils can help reduce blood pressure or at least better manage hypertension especially if the readings are consistently up the scale. A study conducted in 2012 looked at the effects of aromatherapy on hypertension and utilized a number of different essential oils for the said study such as neroli, marjoram, ylang-ylang, and lavender essential oils.
Essential oils can be used on their own or combined with other essential oils effectively. However, the scientific basis for this conclusion is still limited and as such, patients suffering from hypertension or from high blood pressure should consult their health care professional for a more specific recommendation and before incorporating essential oils into your anti-hypertension routine.
Best Essential Oils for Hypertension or High Blood Pressure
Listed below are some of the supposedly best essential oils for high blood pressure or hypertension:
- Ylang-ylang- The essential oil ylang-ylang has been shown to reduce cortisol levels, also referred to as stress hormones, and as such can help in blood pressure reduction
- Yarrow- The essential oil yarrow is considered by most as one of the best essential oil in the improvement of circulation of the blood.
- Valerian- This essential oil can have calming effects that are considered extremely potent and powerful particularly on the nervous system and therefore aid in reducing tension caused by nervousness, calm hyper activeness, alleviate insomnia, help with heart palpitations, and reduce blood pressure.
- Sweet Marjoram- This essential oil can aid in the dilation of blood vessels which can help reduce blood pressure and manage hypertension.
- Sage- Sage is an essential oil that can lead to the promotion of weight loss through increased metabolism of the body. Weight loss has also been observed to have beneficial aspects in terms of blood pressure.
- Rose- Rose essential oil has been shown to have calming effects that can aid in the relaxation of the body as a whole, helping in the promotion of better circulation of the blood and reduced blood pressure.
- Neroli- There is evidence to suggest that neroli essential oil may have properties that are antihypertensive.
- Lime- There is evidence to suggest that this essential oil may have properties that can reduce stress and anxiety leading to lower blood pressure.
- Lemon balm- This essential oil may help reduce blood pressure and aid in the protection of the cardiovascular system against heart attacks, tachycardia, and heart palpitations.
- Lemon- Essential oils from lemons are linked to stress relief and alleviation of depression and can also help in naturally managing blood pressure.
- Lavender- This essential oil has properties that are calming and can aid in reducing anxiety, heart rate, and blood pressure=
- Helichrysum- Helichrysum essential oil has been associated with properties that are hypotensive and can, therefore, serve as a relaxant that is all-natural and aid to blood pressure that is better managed.
- Jasmine- Jasmine oil may help relax the nervous system during times of stress and unrest.
- Frankincense- This essential oil can aid in the regulation of the heart and in the reduction of stress levels.=
- Clary sage- Essential Oil Clary sage can help in the reduction of the levels of anxiety and help in reducing blood pressure levels.
- Citronella- Essential oil from citronella can aid individuals in easing stress and anxiety which can result in blood sugar that is reduced.
- Cedarwood- This essential oil can aid in the promotion of a relaxed state and a heart rate that is temporarily decreased.
- Bergamot- This essential oil can lead to reduced blood pressure through a lower heart rate.
How To Use Essential Oils For Hypertension Or High Blood Pressure
The good thing about essential oils is that they can be used on their own or they can be combined with other forms of essential oils. Those who believe in the latter will usually mix the best kinds of essential oil for them to come up with the most potent blend for their health. Listed below are some of the best essential oil blends for hypertension or high blood pressure:
Recipe for Lotion
Some of the ingredients of this recipe include 2 oz of coconut oil, five (5) drops of frankincense, five (5) drops of clary sage, and five (5) drops of lavender. All of the said components should be combined well before having the concoction rubbed under the nose and into the temples.
Recipe for Diffuser
Some of the ingredients of this recipe include three (3) drops of ylang-ylang, three (3) drops of lavender essential, and three (3) drops of bergamot. All of the ingredients should be combined and the mixture placed in a diffuser for aromatherapy. Lastly, have the oils inhaled for fifteen to thirty minutes.
Are There Any Worst Essential Oils For High Blood Pressure?
Luckily, there are no essential oils tagged as the worst for blood pressure. However, these oils should be used properly as ingesting them causes harm to the individual. Using essential oils properly is the key to their effective use.