Having a good sleep is very important in our daily activity. If we don’t have sleep at night it can lower down our energy. Insomnia is a sleep disorder. People with insomnia have a difficulty of sleeping and feel dissatisfied with their sleep. Insomnia can cause feeling sleepy during day time that can affect our works. You can feel generally unwell, anxiety and irritability.
Best Essential Oils for Insomnia
There are essential oils that can help you to have a good sleep and can avoid from insomnia. And what are those essential oils?
1. Valerian Essential Oil:
Despite of valerian stinky odor people use this oil to relieve stress and body tension century ago. This oil is one of most effective essential oil for insomnia.
2. Lavender Essential Oil:
This Essential Oil has a very appeal scent. Lavender believes that can ease the tension of the body and can make the body relax. Relax body can lead to good sleep.
3. Clary Sage Essential Oil:
Clary sage consider as a comfort scent. It can relax the body that will result to good sleep. The nutty scent of clary sage contains thurjone which is known for its capability to reduce stress and also can make the muscles relax.
4. Neroli Essential Oil:
Also known as orange blossom that is great for calming the nerves and can help a person to relax.
5. Roman Chamomile Essential Oil:
This type of essential oil can make a restful night with lavender. This essential oil already used during ancient time to help people to have adequate sleep.
6. Vetiver Essential Oil:
The earthy smell of vetiver essential oil can make a person’s nerve to calm. Vetiver is good for hormonal issue problem of sleep.
7. Sandalwood Essential Oil:
These days sandalwood is very hard to find. The export of sandalwood in India is already limited. The delightful aroma of sandalwood decrease anxiety and stress and promote relaxation.
8. Cedarwood Essential Oil:
Cedarwood has a fresh smell that can promote good sleep during at night.
9. Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil:
Ylang-ylang is helps our body to relax and can let us achieve a very good night’s sleep. It is also a good aphrodisiac.
10. Patchouli Essential Oil:
This essential oil has a romantic scent that can make you feel at peace which is good in achieving good night sleep.
Causes of insomnia
- Psychological issue: Having psychological issues like bipolar syndrome, anxiety disorder, depression, and other psychological problem.
- Hormones: During women’s menstruation can cause shifting of estrogen.
- Medical condition: If a person is suffering from health problem like chronic pain, angina, heart failure, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer can cause insomnia to the patient.
- Stress: Stress can make our brain over think and if we are worried and over thinking we can’t sleep easily and can develop insomnia for a long run.
- Disruption in sleeping time or circadian rhythm: Job shifting is one of the reasons why our circadian rhythm disrupts that can cause insomnia.
To diagnose the person if he has insomnia the doctor will conduct interview to the patient about his medical history to determine if the insomnia he is currently suffering is due to other health problem. The doctor will conduct physical exam, psychiatric disorder and will test if the patient use alcohol and drugs.
Sign and symptoms of insomnia
- Difficulty of falling asleep at night
- Waking up earlier than our body desired
- Waking up at night
- Feeling sleepless during morning
- Feeling un-contented with night sleep
- Poor focus over things
- Poor coordination usually commit mistake than normal days
- Irritability towards something
- Feeling anxious
- Having tension headaches
- Worrying about how to sleep at night
- Gastrointestinal symptoms
- No desire of socializing
Type of insomnia
- Transient insomnia: This type of insomnia will last for three nights
- Acute insomnia: This type of insomnia is short term insomnia and symptoms persist for several weeks.
- Chronic insomnia: This insomnia is the severe type of insomnia. It will last for months and even years if the condition is not being treated. This type of insomnia is usually side effect of other health condition of the patient.
Treatment for insomnia
Insomnia can be treated if the underlying cause of having it is treated first. Treating insomnia can be medical and non-pharmacological therapy.
Medical treatment for insomnia includes:
- Sleeping pills (prescribe by doctor)
There are also home remedies for insomnia:
- Using relaxation technique: Meditation is good in stimulating sleep. Meditation can make our brain relax and able to make a good sleep.
- Improving sleep hygiene: Having enough sleep is sleeping not too much and not too little, not forcing sleep and exercising daily is what we called sleep hygiene. To improve your sleep hygiene or habit you should avoid caffeine at night. Avoid smoking and also do not go to bed if you are hungry and make sure that your sleeping environment is comfortable.
- Sleep restriction: Do not spend a lot of time in bed especially if you are not going to sleep or it’s not time to sleep because it will make your body more tired.
- Stimulus control therapy: Avoid watching tv during bedtime and do not use cell phone if its time to sleep. Go to bed when you are already sleepy to avoid restlessness and avoid long day time nap.
Fast fact about insomnia
- There are a lot of causes why people develop insomnia
- Usual reason of having insomnia is lifestyle and illness
- Treatment for insomnia include medical and behavioral
- Causes of insomnia are psychological factors, hormones and medication
- Sleeping with someone who snore can make you develop insomnia
- Insomnia is hereditary. If your mother or father suffers from insomnia it has a big chance that you will develop insomnia too.
- Dogs and cats also suffer from insomnia
- Chronic insomnia will lead to alcohol abuse of not treated
- Insomnia could be predisposed
- Depression has something to do with insomnia
Study shows that having television inside your bedroom can make a person stay up late at night. Sleeping with gadget and technology around you is not a good option for you because it can make you hard to sleep because you are tempt to watch tv or play games in your cell phones. Sleep deprivation can cause different health problem in the future.