Being obese and overweight can result in a number of different adverse effects on health. There are a number of different diets out there that are considered “fad” but the best way to go is still to focus on a diet that is nutritious and a lifestyle that is balanced to achieve better control and management of weight and healthy living.
Based on the statement of the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), more than 90 million individuals in the US experienced being obese from 2015 to 2016 which also indicates that around 39.8% of the adults’ population in America is obese. Lugging around excess weight can lead to increased health problems that are serious such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease.
Crash diets are quick-fix solutions that are not sustainable regardless of the supposed advantages the supporters of this kind of diet may have. For men (and women) to sustain weight loss and effectively lose weight, it is crucial that beneficial changes to the lifestyle that is permanent and gradual. In this article, we look at ten Easy Tips for individuals to Lose weight. Read on to find out more!
Ten Easy Tips On How To Lose Weight for Men (and Women)
Below are ten easy tips on how to lose weight for men that can also benefit women:
1. Consume foods that are nutritionally dense, colorful, and varied
Meals and snacks that are healthy are the basis of our diets. One way to come up with a plan that is simple is to ensure that every meal will be composed of 50 percent veggies and fruits and 25% protein, and 25% whole grains. The daily intake of fiber for most individuals should be pegged at around twenty-five to thirty grams on a daily basis. Trans-fat should also be taken out of the diet while saturated fat intake should be reduced as this has been linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. People should instead take in MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids or PUFA or polyunsaturated fatty acids, both are a type of fat that is unsaturated.
Some foods to consider for a nutrient-rich and healthy meal include oatmeal, brown rice, and other forms of grain, seeds, nuts, legumes, fish, veggies, and fresh fruits. On the other hand, individuals should avoid certain food items such as processed foods, white bread, bagels, baked goods, processed or fatty red meats, and food with sugar, butter, oils that are added. In most instances, having certain foods removed from one’s eating routine can lead to the person becoming deficient in a number of different minerals and vitamins. A healthcare professional, dietitian, or nutritionist can give the person some recommendation on how adequate nutrients can be obtained while observing a diet program.
2. Maintain a weight and food journal
Monitoring one’s self can be crucial to ensure weight loss. Individuals can go for a mobile app, a journal, or a website dedicated to the recording of consumed food items. Individuals can also monitor how much progress they already made by having their weight recorded weekly. Those who are able to monitor small physical changes and incremental advances are more likely to succeed in sticking to their chosen weight loss program. On top of these journals, people can also use a BMI calculator (Body Mass Index).
3. Engage in exercise and regular physical activity
Exercising regularly is important for both mental and physical health. Increased physical activity frequency in a way that is purposeful and discipline is critical for weight loss that is successful. An hour of activity that is moderate in intensity on a daily basis is ideal (e.g. brisk walking). If this is not doable, experts suggest that people at least try to go for 150 minutes weekly. Those who are not active physically should increase their exercise frequency and intensity slowly. This can help individuals sustain this habit until it is incorporated into their lifestyle. In the same manner that having meals recorded can mentally aid people to lose weight, individuals can also gain benefits when they have their physical activity tracked.
People who are new to physical activity may try out some routine activities such as parking farther and walking to the office, playing games outdoors, dancing, gardening, walking one’s dog, raking some leaves, and taking the stairs.
4. Eliminate calories from liquids
It can happen that people can consume daily calories in the hundreds by taking in alcohol, juice, tea, and sugar-sweetened soda. These are referred to as empty calories since they don’t offer any benefits for nutrition and just provide extra energy. Individuals are advised to just drink unsweetened coffee or tea or pure water after a meal unless the individual is drinking a smoothie to have a meal replaced.
Other weight loss tips for men:
- Control Portions and measure servings- Consuming too much food, even those that are low in calories, can still make people gain added weight. As such, people should avoid coming up with their food serving estimates. It is recommended that people use measuring cups and other guides to control saving.
- Mindful eating- A lot of individuals can find that mindful eating can be quite beneficial which means that they need to be aware of what, where, when, how, and why they eat. Making food choices that are healthy is the result of being in tune with the needs of the body.
- Cue and stimulus control- Cues from the environmental and other social settings can lead to eating that is unnecessary. One example is that some individuals can eat much more when watching TV while others can find it hard to say no to a piece of candy without taking one for himself or herself.
- Planning ahead- Meal plans that are structured can help ensure that the individual will stick to their eating plan.
- Look for support- Loved ones and community can all help people who are losing weight.
- Keep a positive outlook- It is important to keep on despite challenging days and a positive outlook can help people improve their weight loss journey.