The ketogenic diet is one of the most popular diets at the moment. Given its many benefits, this really does not come as a surprise. Choosing the right kind of food is crucial if you want to be successful at this type of diet. This article will help you decide whether swai fish is good for keto or not.
What a Keto Diet Is
Before discussing if swai fish is good for keto or not, it is essential to understand what a keto diet is all about. It is really a low carb high fat diet. This means you load up on good fat while you drastically reduce on carbohydrates. If you do this consistently, your body enters a ketogenic state. When it does, your body burns through the glucose and uses fat as an alternative source of fuel. This process is called ketosis and ketones are the by-product of said process. Ketones are known to do a lot of good for the human body.
Achieving a Ketogenic State
There are many ways you achieve ketosis. Here are the four most utilized ways to do so:
- Standard. For most people practicing the keto diet, this is is the most usual way to do it. The ratio that you should follow in all your meals is 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbohydrates.
- High Pro. As the name suggests, there is more protein intake in this type of keto diet. The ratio that you should follow in all your meals is 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbohydrates.
- Cyclical. This is an advanced way of doing the keto diet. This is because you have to really know how to keep track of your food intake. Here, you follow any either the standard or high pro keto diet for five days straight. For the remaining two days, you will have to load up on carbohydrates. These two days are usually designated for strenuous physical activity or training. This is the type of keto diet that most athletes follow.
- As needed. Given that this is not programmed, not all can do this type of keto diet. Here, you have to be an expert at food intake tracking since you will do either standard or high pro on regular days then load up on carbs when needed. It is necessary to increase carb intake during days of heavy workout to have sufficient energy to finish your reps.
If it is your first time to do keto, it would be best if you consult a keto expert and your doctor to make sure that you are doing it the right way.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
There are many benefits that a keto diet offers. Here are just some of them:
- Effective at weight loss
- Lowers cholesterol
- Lowers risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Enhances sensitivity to insulin
- Regulates body glucose
- Helps treat symptoms of brain injury, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease
Is Swai Fish Good for Keto or Not?
This is the part where we will discuss whether swai fish is good for keto or not. We begin at understanding what a swai fish is. It is actually a white-fleshed fish that is native to Vietnam. It is considered the sixth most popular fish in the US probably because of it is affordable and tastes pleasant. It is also known as panga, cream dory, striped catfish, Vietnamese catfish, tra, and basa. Some would even call it Siamese shark or iridescent shark even if it is not technically a shark.
A swai fish that weighs a typical four ounces contains:
- Calories: 70
- Protein: 15 grams
- Fat: 1.5 grams
- Omega-3 fat: 11 mg
- Cholesterol: 45 grams
- Sodium: 350 mg
- Niacin: 14%
- Vitamin B12: 19%
- Selenium: 26%
Here is many believe that swai fish is good for keto. It does not contain carbohydrates. This is a major plus especially if you are on a high pro keto diet. The downside, however, is that it registers low in fat as well. A salmon, for example, can contain as much as 2000mg of Omega-3 fat. An American catfish meanwhile can have as much as 250mg. In a way, while Swai fish does not have carbohydrates, it also does not have enough fat to be considered a really good match to any type of keto diet.
Whether swai fish is good for keto or not is not the only issue where this type of fish is concerned. Swai fish is infamously known to be grown in fish farms that have been proven to cause water pollution due to the chemical agents needed to breed them. Swai fish is also known to contain mercury with some exceeding the mercury level still considered safe for humans.
Given the risks and the nutritional content of swai fish, the verdict is in with regards to the question: Is swai fish good for keto? Unfortunately, it is not. There are better and safer alternatives that could match the type of keto diet that you are doing. You could try salmon, mackerel, trout, tuna, shrimp, even mussels. Swai fish does not stack up to these types of seafood when talking about both safety and being keto friendly.