The green, leafy vegetable kale has become even more popular recently. It sure does not come as a surprise. With so many kale benefits, it understandable that more and more people would gravitate towards this winter vegetable. Kale is definitely good for you and here are the reasons why.
What it is
Before talking about kale benefits, it is best to begin with knowing what this vegetable is. Here are some facts about this superfood:
- It belongs to the same family as cruciferous veggies such as Brussels sprouts and broccoli.
- It is a hardy plant that can survive during the winter season. This is the reason why it is called a winter vegetable.
- Kale is popular in various continents including South America, Africa, Asia, and Europe.
- Kale is abundant in the US with most grown in California, Texas, New Jersey, and Georgia.
There are also different types of Kale.
- Lacinto Kale. Also known as Dinosaur Kale or Tuscan Kale, it is known for its tell-tale blue-green leaves. It is usually used in Italian dishes.
- Curly Kale. This is the most common type of kale. It is called such because it is characterized by dark green curly leaves. They are not as delicate as the other types of kale and they tend to taste slightly more bitter as well.
- Purple Kale. This type of kale is also known as redbor kale. Obviously, it is known for its purple stems with reddish or maroonish leaves. Bitterness and toughness significantly lessen when cooked.
Kale has been called superfood because of its many inherent nutrients. These are some of the many research-proven kale benefits that you can enjoy:
- It is a good source of Vitamin C.
- It is also abundant with antioxidants, calcium, antioxidants, Vitamin K, and iron.
- It is known to boost the immune system and give a feeling of overall wellness.
- It also contains fiber which can manage symptoms of people living with type-1 and diabetes. It also prevents constipation.
- Part of kale benefits is that kale contains antioxidants which can also manage diabetes symptoms. It could also decrease some brain concerns including peripheral neuropathy.
- Since kale is full of potassium, one of kale benefits is reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, stroke, reduction of kidney stones formation, protection against the decrease of muscle mass and so on.
- The most popular thing kale can do is its anti-cancer properties. The chlorophyll found on kale makes it nearly impossible for the human body to absorb carcinogens.
- Kale is also a good source of Vitamin K which promotes excellent bone health.
- Kale contains B and C vitamins which helps the body absorb iron more effectively.
- One of kale benefits is beta-carotene which is converted to Vitamin A.
- It has been proven to lower cholesterol.
- It is a valuable aid to weight loss.
Given the many kale benefits, you should definitely include this superfood in your day-to-day diet.
Kale can be prepared in various ways without sacrificing awesome kale benefits. Here are some ways to enjoy kale to the fullest:
- Add it to soups and sauces.
- You can add it to salads and other dishes.
- You can also eat it raw with a dip. Just make sure you wash it thoroughly before eating.
- You can boil it or saute it.
There are truly many kale benefits that you can enjoy if you give this leafy winter vegetable a try. Include them in your regular home dishes and do not be scared to experiment. With kale as an addition to you and your family’s diet, you can be assured that you are on the side of awesome health and wellness.