Herbal medicine is widely used and popular around the world. There are very beneficial herbal plants like sarsaparilla that can be used in treating different illnesses. But what is sarsaparilla?
Sarsaparilla is a medicinal plant that belongs to the genus of smilax. This plant is widely grown in South America; Jamaica; Mexico and the Caribbean. Long-time ago, it is widely using a long time ago. Sarsaparilla is used in Europe as an Herbal medicine. It contains saponins an agent that helps to subside joint pain and skin problems that can cause itching.
Sarsaparilla is widely used in Central and South America as an herbal medicine commonly used to treat skin infections and body pain. Sarsaparilla was first to use about the 1950s and considered a tonic blood purifier.
Studies conducted intended for this plant and it shows that this plant is very helpful in managing and treating some disease.
The Benefits You Can Get From Sarsaparilla
- Fight against psoriasis: It has this ability to treating psoriasis. According to research that sarsaparillas is treating psoriasis a few decades ago and most of it is successful since it can bind endotoxins a culprit of lesion that is present on psoriasis.
- Help to treat arthritis: This is very helpful for those who are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis because this medicinal contains an anti-inflammatory agent that can help to ease the pain and treat arthritis.
- Can treat syphilis: According to some studies, sarsaparilla has this ability in fighting bacteria and harmful microorganisms that are attacking the body. Although it is not as affected as of today’s antibiotics still it’s very helpful in treating syphilis an infection transmitted through sexual intercourse.
- Help the body to fight cancer: In recent research, sarsaparilla had a property that can fight cancer cells especially breast cancer; liver cancer and tumor. But as of now the evidence and studies are very few but experts believe that it is very helpful for those who are suffering from those said chronic diseases.
- Protects the liver: Sarsaparillas has this protecting ability to the liver. In a recent study in rats, the study shows that those rats who consume sarsaparillas have a good liver than those who are not taking sarsaparillas and experts believe this is also applicable to humans.
- Helps the supplement to be more effective: It works as a synergist towards herbal supplement. It levels up the absorption and bioavailability of other herbal supplements taken by a person.
Although sarsaparillas are helpful for those who are using it. It can also do harm if misuse and overuse. The following are the side effect of sarsaparillas.
- Stomach ache
Despite some side effects, it is safe to be consumed but it’s safer if you will consume the right amount and should not be abuse because herbs are not under the United States Food Drugs and Administration.
Traditional Use Of Sarsaparillas
- Its roots are used as a tonic stimulant long time ago
- Its ripe fruit can help to treat scabies
- Helps to treat muscle pain and joint pain
- It is also used to treat joint pain and headaches in Peru and Honduras
- People who are suffering from kidney problems and diabetes if overused.
- Smilax is not good for people who have allergies
- Sarsaparilla should be used in moderation
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding avoid medical supplements that have sarsaparillas because there is no enough evidence that it’s safe for pregnant and breastfeeding mother
- Too much intake of this medicinal plant can cause headache and nausea so be careful of using it
- It’s not under FDA
How To Consume sarsaparilla
- Tea: You can make sarsaparilla tea by fresh sarsaparilla roots by boiling it. Let the mixture mix within 30 minutes. It can help to treat cough and fever.
- Capsule supplement: You can purchase a supplement with sarsaparilla in a drug store and or online stores. The dosage will depend on the brand of the sarsaparilla capsule.
- Something you need to watch out
- Fraudulent claims of some products: Some products claim that it contains sarsaparilla especially supplement products for bodybuilding because the plant steroid from it can be synthesized but there is no evidence that it can also happen to the human body. You need to be watchful of what you by especially herbal supplements since it’s not under the FDA.
- False ingredients: This is very common among different products, not just those products who claimed that they have sarsaparilla in it. Do not be confused between Indian sarsaparilla and sarsaparilla because Indian sarsaparilla does not have any link to the real sarsaparilla in the smilax genus.
- Pregnancy: Though some studies show that sarsaparilla is safe to pregnant women and lactating mother but still it’s much better if you will stay in the safe zone and don’t take any products contain it to avoid any health issues later on unless your doctor will give you the permission that you can have it.
Where You Can Buy It
If you are interested to purchase it, you can buy it in a health food store or you can also purchase it online. You can check online what product contains sarsaparilla and it’s up to you what product you like to try.
The photochemical that the sarsaparilla roots contain is beneficial in fighting cancer and other chronic diseases. It also has anti-inflammatory components that are very helpful in treating joint pains. In addition, it has antimicrobial that helps to treat skin infections. As of now this medicinal plant is not yet successfully proven that can help in treating serious illness. However, experts believe they can prove it soon.
If you want to take sarsaparilla you need to talk to your doctor or medical provider first to avoid any health problem and sometimes patients think that a certain herbal medicine is helpful for them but the truth is it can do more harm to them. The effectivity of medicine will vary on a person’s body reaction everyone has a different reaction towards herbal medicine.