There are a lot of trends nowadays that cater to weight loss and losing fat, but what about for those who have a skinny body type? You could imagine the surge of needs for those people who are trying to lose weight. Go online, and almost everything that you see aims to help you lose weight- supplements, food, diet plans- name them all. When you visit the supermarket, you get to see a variety of low-fat milk, low-fat sugar, and all these chemical products aiding to help one lose weight. What happens to those who would like to have more room for good fat and gain enough healthy weight?
The skinny body type is also called the skinny-fat type. People who struggle with weight issues consider those with this body type as blessed as they can gulp away as much food as that of a grown big man without worrying about gaining much weight. So what you can expect are dinners, and that would consist of pizza, mac and cheese, and other greasy stuff. And they seem to get away with it without doing exercise, healthy diets, and nutrition plans. We might say that life is unfair, right? But people with skinny bodies have their insecurities and struggles just like people who struggle from losing weight, too.
What Is Skinny Body
Skinny body is for those who are visually healthy and skinny but have the same obesity and health issues like that as people who are going through weight loss problems. This means that their Body Mass Index or BMI is normal for their respective height but has more than fat and there is no enough muscle to support optimum health. This is one of the many misconceptions about BMI because there is a certain range to follow so that you could assess your health and weight. Take this as an example; let’s say the BMI for the normal and healthy range is 19.50 to 23.99. So does it mean that if you are on a BMI of 22, you are primarily clear? The World Health Organization has some guidelines when it comes to this. BMI should only be a rough guide but must not be the sole source of assessment as it may not be on par with the very same percentage of fat in various individuals.
It’s a common misconception that as long as you are skinny, you already look good and you are healthy. That is not all there is to factor out when it comes to assessing optimal health. The problem with people who have a skinny body is that they automatically assume that their being skinny would equate to being healthy. That is the reason why some skinny people get surprised to know that despite their weight and skinny facade, they also encounter serious health issues and obesity problems. It is indeed an eye-opener.
One thing to remember is that two fats are in the body- visceral and subcutaneous fat. The fact that you can see and touch is what’s called the subcutaneous fat. The second type is the one that you cannot see, but instead, it gets wrapped in your kidneys, liver, intestines, stomach, abdominal cavity, and it gets stored in your various body organs. If you are experiencing skinny fat or skinny body type, the second type or the visceral fat is most likely the dominant fat in your body. Health professionals say that it is sneaky and dangerous because there is no outward indication that you are already storing enough fats in your organs to make it burst and cause multiple health risks.
Skinny Body: Causes, Signs, and Risks
As mentioned, although those who have a skinny body and attractive exterior, it does not mean that they are healthy and in optimum nutrition. Here are some of the most common reasons as to why you could be affected by this.
- Drugs and Medication
- Eating Disorder
- Abnormal Metabolism
- Nutrient Deficiency
- Poor lifestyle
- Too much or lack of exercise
- Sitting Disease
- Loss of muscle mass
All the other causes may seem too familiar to you, but we must point out the most common cause, which is also the sitting disease. This is mostly known as the sedentary lifestyle which is causing too many hours for you to be seated without any physical activity that could lead to a healthier lifestyle. According to recent research in 2019, 20% of the deaths for those 35 years and up are caused by a sedentary lifestyle or lack of activities that may cause the body to stay active.
As for the signs, we already know that weight and the outward fat formation could not just be the lone basis for checking the signs. Here are some questions that you can ask yourself to see if you are in danger of developing this kind of body fat.
- You always experience brain fog and sugar crashes which leads to low energy, fatigue, lack of memory, concentration, and focus.
- Your stomach belly may be bigger compared to the rest of your body parts. The shape could be like that of an apple.
- You get light-headed even for a very mild exercise.
- You do not get enough protein-packed nutrients to form foods.
- Your meals and diet are usually composed of artificial sweeteners, processed food, excess carbohydrates, and sugar.
They say that you can assess your body more than anyone else. Listen to it and if you notice something’s off, never be afraid to ask for help. A skinny body may be attractive on the outside but serious health effects could be experienced if this issue is not addressed.
- High Cholesterol
- Decreased Cognitive Function
- Higher risks in Cardiovascular Diseases
- Resistance to insulin which could cause diabetes type 2
- Decreased density of bone minerals
How To Get Back On Track
There are a million and one ways to get back to the track of fitness and wellness. All you need to do is stay committed and dedicated to the goal. Here are some of the steps that you can make to get rid of skinny fat and skinny body and say hello to a healthier, beautiful you!
- Load up with protein. Protein products like eggs, chicken, and fish would make you feel full faster and it could protect and build muscles needed for a healthy metabolism.
- Exercise and lift those weights. A sedentary lifestyle could be more dangerous than you think. Lift those weights and move as best as you can. Allot daily routine for exercise and running for better overall health.
- Stick to a balanced diet. The key to a healthier you is getting more foods rich in mineral content and getting rid of unnecessary sugar. Shy away from processed meals and cook healthy meals instead.
- Breathe and Relax. Blood pressure could spike up if you keep on worrying. Mediate, read, and try yoga.
- Get enough sleep. You are not a robot- your body deserves rest.
Having issues with your skinny body is just like the issues that people with weight loss problems are having. We are all unique and we only need to find the right balance on things to live in optimal health.