Starting a weight loss plan is exciting. You get thrilled when those pounds fall off and you get extra motivated when you see those numbers meeting your goal. Things could get depressing when you see extra pounds being added up in the scale. How will you know the difference between water weight vs fat? Some people find weighing scales a source of stress and anxiety most especially if you see that weight jumping a few grams in the day. You then wonder, is that added fat or just added water weight? Do not panic yet as science has a lot to say about this dilemma.
There are two kinds of weight that you can develop: water and fat weight. According to doctors and health practitioners, the fat weight will take a few weeks before it could show up in your magic scale. Fat buildup happens when you consume more calories and do not do anything to burn it. You can get it mostly from sugary foods and foods high in fat like cookies, chips, soda, and other unhealthy stuff. Water-weight, on the other hand, could cause your scale’s weight within the day as it fluctuates to at least half a kilo in a day. If you notice that your weight has increased significantly for only a few days, it’s most likely that it’s just water weight and not actual fat. Keep on reading if you would like to know more about water weight vs fat, how to tell the difference if the added weight is caused by the latter, and we will also give tips on how to lose unwanted fat and water weight fast!
We have already made a comparison between water weight vs fat. And there are a lot of ways to determine whether that pound or gram you are gaining in your magic scale is from water or legit fat. We also know that fat is caused by eating foods that are high in fat like sugary soda, cakes, and junk foods. Water weight, on the other hand, is caused by eating salt-laden foods. Lack of sweating and exercise could contribute to this weight, too. Here are some of the factors that could also contribute to water weight:
- Lifestyle changes
- Sodium amount
- Carbohydrate intake
- Hormone Imbalance
Water has compiled four sure proof ways on how to determine if it water weight or fat in the body. Take note of key terms and differentiate them on your end.
- You should track your body fat month to month so that you can compare the results one month after another. If you have gained weight, that’s a sure sign that there was indeed fat increase. If the weight decreased or the same as that of last month’s weight, it means that pounds or grams you have seen week by week were just water weight.
- Do a daily tracking of your body weight so that you can compare the previous day’s weight to the current weight. If there is a result of at least 450 grams of gained weight, no need to worry as it’s only water weight. Take note that the weight fluctuates for at least 500 grams to a kilo within a day, because of the liquid fluctuations in the body.
- You will notice that your feet and legs would be swollen. This is mainly due to water weight. You can see traces of the water imprint from the socks you used after taking it off. You will also feel that your anklets, rings, and other usual accessories are a bit tighter. These are just signs of water weight.
- If you see that your legs, hands, and feet are puffy, press a finger in any of the swollen or puffy body parts. If the impression bounces back right away, it’s the fat weight. If the imprint is left for a few seconds more, it’s just water weight. A sign of fat gain will revert to its original form.
Lose Fat and Water Weight Fast!
Fats are important in the body as it provides the energy that is needed for everyday bodily functions. But if there is too much fat than the body needs, it could cause more harm than good. That’s why we need to always watch our diet, choose the right foods, and follow an exercise routine. It does not only provide an amazing figure, but it will also provide overall health at its optimum peak. Those who would want to lose weight and fat, know how to work on it. But what about those who worry about water weight?
Generally, those who worry about water weight are for those who have weight categories that need to be met for certain competitions like bodybuilders or professional athletes. The minority are those who would just like to have the best appearance possible. But whatever the purpose is to lose that fat and water weight, here are some tips that you can follow to achieve it.
- Sleep More. The renal nerves that could be found in the kidney create water balance and sodium regulation. Enough sleep would help improve water retention and could control the hydration levels.
- Exercise Regularly: Reducing water weight and fat could be achieved through a commitment to your exercise routine. Exercise will allow you to increase sweat and would result in losing more water.
- Hydrate! When you drink more water, your body gets the balance it needs to achieve optimum health. It’s also needed for kidney and liver health. Make sure you increase water intake day by day.
Foods to Avoid Unhealthy Fat and Unwanted Water Weight
We have discussed reasons as to why there are issues with water weight vs fat; how to know if it’s one or the other, and we have also established how to get rid of unhealthy fats and unwanted water weight. In this portion, we have collated foods that you need to avoid to achieve optimum health. Refer to the list below for reference.
Foods to avoid for Water Weight:
- Deli meat
- Frozen meals
- Canned Soup
- Pasta Sauce
- Processed Cheese
Foods to avoid for unhealthy Fat:
- Sugary Drinks
- Potato Chips and French Fries
- Low-carb junk Foods (Junk foods are junk!)
- Candy Bars
- Fast Food meals
- Processed meat
- High-calorie drinks
The foods listed above are just some of the most common foods that we unknowingly consume which confuse water weight vs fat. Remember that in every goal of losing weight or in the journey of obtaining overall health, it’s best to know your facts as it would save you the trouble of worrying too much that your ways are not working. Keep on keeping on!